Bulgarians enjoy to eat soups – vegetarian or with meat or fish. Bulgarian soups are mainly light and served as a starter. Some of them are flavored with yogurt just before eating, we stay true to our favorite Bulgarian yogurt.
Very famous Bulgarian soup is the Tripe soup that people eat after hangover.
Here are the first 3 most delicious Bulgarian soups:
- Kurban chorba
Kurban chorba is traditionally cooked for important occasion in the family. The word “Kurban” means animal sacrifice that should be cooked for family and friends to eat. The tradition is to make this sacrifice as a reward for something important that you ask for – mainly sick family member or friend to become healthy. The ritual is done every year on the same date as promised.
- 2 lbs mutton
- 1/2 gallon water
- 2 onions
- 1/4 cup tomato
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery root
- Some parsley
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
1. Cut the meat in 2-inch pieces.
2. Put in a larger pot, add water and boil on high until water starts boiling. Boil for another 20 minutes on high heat. Skim the foam as often as necessary.
3. Make sure that the meat is done and if so add the remaining ingredients.
4. Cook for another 20 minutes on low heat.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm
2. Tripe Soup (Shkembe)
- 1 lb tripe (calf belly)
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp dried hot
1. Boil the tripe for about 30 minutes. Add oil, milk, pepper and paprika and boil for another 30 minutes, occasionally topping up the water if needed.
2. To make the garnish: mix the salt, garlic and vinegar in a cup, add 2 tbsp of water and let it soak for at least 30 minutes.
3. Garnish with the garlic and vinegar mixture and sprinkle with the hot chili peppers. Serve hot.
3. Bob chorba ( Beans Soup)
- 2 cups of beans
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 dried red peppers
- 1 cup crushed
- 1/2 cup vegetable
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried
- 1 tbsp vinegar
1. Soak the beans in cold water for 2 to 4 hours. This will make them softer and easier to cook.
2. Rinse the beans, add water and boil for 30 minutes on high heat.
3. Add the chopped onions, carrots, red peppers, and tomatoes. Boil for another 30
minutes on medium heat.
4. When the beans are cooked well, add all the spices and season with the vinegar. Serve hot.